Friday, November 26, 2010

My FIRST Half Marathon; Penang Bridge International Marathon 2010

waiting for my movie to start..

few hours before my run..

guessing where we stayed?

try eating here.. the food was nice..

a day before PBIM somewhere near Queensbay mall

my second day training @ my hometown Ipoh

my fist day training after 5days rest..

It has been 11 months after i first set my sight on my first half marathon and doing it last weekend!! I am ecstatic over my achievement.. Yup, some may say 'its no big deal'.. To me 'it is a big deal!!' Hehe.. Now, lets me recall what i did the week before..

The week leading to PBIM..
It has been five (5) days after i injured my knee and ankle.. i really felt that i need to do some training to see if i have heal myself in time for my maiden 21km run.. So i ran 5km a day after Raya Haji.. Luckily there was no aching either during nor after my training.. Fuh, it was a real relief.. i would not want to 'Not Run' after preparing for such 11 months.. Since, i felt good after my first training, i ran the next day again 5km.. that time, i felt a slight sharp pain on my left ankle.. maybe it was the back to back training that caused the pain..

My Maiden 21km Run..
Drove to Penang a day earlier before the run to make sure i have all preparations ready. eg:
1. know where to park my car
2. know where is the starting line
3. know where is the toilet
4. get excited early!!!

I tried to get some sleep during the day but was unable to do any.. i was too excited i guess!! hehe.. the following was what i did before my run:
1. Parked beside the road (got fined RM100 for it!!)
2. Watched Harry Potter @ TGV which ended at 1215am..
3. Relocated my car into a designated carpark (should have done this earlier and save the RM100 parking ticket!!)
4. Tried to get some rest inside the car
5. Drank some liquids 1hr before my run
6. Warm up 1hr before (which was too early)

Around 230am, i started queuing somewhere in the middle of thousands HM (Half Marathoners).. so we waited about 30mins before running.. it took me 2mins to cross the starting line and another 2mins before i could start running..i was really surprised with the number of HM.. there was around 5k of HM!! Slowly i paced myself to my usual pace for 7km.. somehow i slowed my pace from 7km onwards.. even the gradual slope of the bridge was not helping my pace.. imagine if the slope was greater?!!!

Well, at 11km everything looks good until the heavy rain took us all for a surprise.. it was cold and painful to the face as we were running against the rain.. my pace slowed fro 7mins/km to 10mins/km.. with cold feet and heavy shoes, i struggled to maintain my running stride for the next 4km..

The remaining last 6km was all too hard for me.. with no more fluids that brought along, my run got worst.. from running slow to walking.. (should have bought more of those energy gels).. Finished my run in 2hrs 56mins!! luckily my toes didnt have any blisters..

My Average Pace
0km to 5km: 7.51min/km
0km to 10 km: 7.27min/km
0km to 15km: 7.88min/km
0km to 21km: 8.40min/km

What i should have done differently..
1. Confirm hotel reservation date early (eastin hotel)
2. Eat noodle soup or something usual (few hours before the run)
3. Drink some endurance fluid 1hr before the run
4. Park my car at a designated area
5. Bring dry clothes for post run (bring a sweater too)
6. Prepare to run in the rain (this i dont know how..)
7. Buy good socks that can disperse water (rain)
8. Train for longer runs (21km or longer!)
9. Pace 6.42min/km to finish in 2hrs 15min (have to train harder to achieve this..)

2 comments:

  1. Haha...didnt know you did all the preparation..
    I will be going for the 21KM next year..Hope to prepare better for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ladycooper: nice pics you have there.. i didnt notice your booth.. could have my picture taken as well:)

    Chuckie Cotton: i prepared myself in less than a year.. you could start training now and finish faster than my first 21k.. see you next year:)

    ReplyDelete